REDLAND City Council has voted to advance the long-awaited multi-storey car park at Weinam Creek, directing Redland Investment Corporation (RIC) to transfer key land to the State Government to enable the project to proceed.
The decision, made at Wednesday’s general meeting, marks a major step forward in the Weinam Creek Priority Development Area (PDA) Master Plan, first declared in 2013. It clears the way for the State to assess and construct the parking facility on land currently owned by RIC.
Councillor Shane Rendalls described the resolution as a significant milestone after more than a decade of planning and community advocacy.
“This has been a long process coming, it’s almost 12 years around the Weinam Creek matter,” Cr Rendalls said.
“And the original background to it was the ongoing pressure for parking from the Southern Moreton Bay Islands.”
He said earlier councils had recognised that delivering the infrastructure would require cooperation across all levels of government.
“And part of the opportunity that the Council of the day identified was that the only way this could really be funded was if we looked at a partnership arrangement—where Council provides the land to a developer to be able to meet the costs of constructing the car park,” he said.
Cr Rendalls said the latest resolution built on Council’s December 10, 2025 decision to allow the State Government to take the lead on the project.
“It’s very, very reassuring how quickly they’ve come back to us with the identification of the land size and the location,” he said.
“This provides that to them so that they can get on with the build. It’s now a State Government issue.”
He also moved to reassure residents that the broader vision for the PDA remained unchanged, despite public concern following the December meeting.
“The amendment that was suggested by Councillor Bishop gives a very clear message to the community—that this is a collaborative way forward,” he said.
“The PDA is going to continue: open space, mixed retail, residential, health facilities—that’s particularly important, given the misinformation that was put out after the December 10 meeting, which created some furore in the media.
“And I think the third part of it is also making it clear that once the sale provisions are completed, that information will be made publicly available—just to show that there is full transparency in the process.”
During debate, Councillor Wendy Boglary sought clarification on the State Government’s commitment to deliver the facility.
Executive Group Manager Governance and Legal Services Andrew Ross said the State’s position was unequivocal.
“The recommendation speaks for itself,” he said.
“It is absolutely a priority of the State Government to build a multi-storey car park at Weinam Creek for the community.
“This resolution supports a series of decisions made by Council — most recently on 10 December, and earlier as part of Council’s 2024 advocacy document identifying this multi-storey car parking facility as a key priority.
“This is a commitment reflected in the State’s priorities, and this recommendation supports that commitment to the community.”
Councillor Rowanne McKenzie raised reports that compulsory acquisition could be considered if the transfer did not proceed.
“Media reports have indicated that if we don’t proceed with the land transfer, the State has suggested they may undertake a compulsory acquisition. Can we confirm whether that is the case?” she asked.
Deputy Mayor Julie Talty responded that the possibility had been referenced in correspondence.
“I believe that was written in a letter from the Deputy Premier to the mayor,” she said.
Councillor Paul Bishop also sought assurance that the site’s role as a major public transport hub remained central to planning.
“This is a really important area for public transport and for the transition between different modes of transport. Do we need anything further included in this motion to ensure that is absolutely clear?” he said.
Chris Isles, General Manager for Council’s Infrastructure and Operations Department, said the motion provided sufficient direction.
“Fundamentally, this is noting the transfer of land to facilitate progression of the car park, which was the substantial part of the urgency motion brought in December,” he said.
“It also enables the progress of the other stages of the master plan, and the public transport interchange is a key part of that.
“So, I think there’s enough guidance there from officers. There’s nothing further we need to add.”
Under the resolution, RIC will transfer land as generally described in confidential Sales Plan DWG FC-22-014-Z099, dated February 6, 2026, to the State Government to enable assessment and construction of the multi-storey parking facility.



