Mayor Jos Mitchell has announced she will take three weeks’ leave following a medical episode last week that required ambulance transport to hospital — the fourth such episode she has experienced in the past 18 months.
In a candid message to the community, the Mayor confirmed that on Wednesday last week she was taken from work to the local hospital by ambulance.
“On Wednesday last week, I was transported from work to the local hospital by two wonderful QAS officers,” she said.
The incident marks the fourth episode in 18 months, prompting the Mayor to speak publicly about the importance of paying attention to personal health and seeking medical advice when needed.
“This was the fourth episode I’ve experienced in the past 18 months,” she said.
Because of her experience, Mayor Mitchell urged residents not to ignore potential warning signs.
“I want to strongly encourage anyone who has chest pain, feels unwell, or even just feels a little different than usual, to seek medical advice if you believe you need to. Don’t ignore the signs — getting checked could make all the difference.”
Following medical advice, the Mayor will step away from her duties temporarily.
“Under the advisement of my doctor, I will be taking three weeks’ leave from today until the 8th of March.”
During her absence, the Deputy Mayor will assume mayoral responsibilities. Mayor Mitchell noted that this arrangement is standard practice.
“Deputy Mayors are compensated to fulfil this role, regardless of where they are or which council they serve. It is part of their official responsibilities.”
She also confirmed the Deputy Mayor has previously stepped in twice since April 2024 — once for two weeks of recreational leave in February 2025, and again for several days late last year while she attended a family funeral.
Despite the recent health scare, the Mayor said she hopes to return soon.
“I hope everyone stays safe, and I look forward to seeing you all again very soon. And remember — if you feel you need to get checked, please do.”



